Fall 2013 – Spring 2014, Refining Fire
“That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found..” 1 Peter 1:7
- Our country was starting to see the fruits of the latest progress of the ‘government’ school. The program dubbed “The Common Core” had been adopted quietly a few years before and was starting to be brought to light as parents began to ask why schools that were “great” were starting to do things that didn’t make sense. A new wave of parents was awakened to the inadequacy of the growing problems at government controlled “public” schools.
“There is no better researcher, than an angry parent.” unknown
Spring 2014 – Summer 2014, Planting the Seed
“Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither must ye lay aside your faith, for ye have only exercised your faith to plant the seed that ye might try the experiment to know if the seed was good.” Alma 32:36
- We had been thinking about starting a school for years in the case that we were ever confronted with a time that there was not an acceptable one available. That idea started to grow as more and more time was spent learning about true principles of education.
- Visits to successful alternative schools in and out of the “public” school system, and inspiring visits with homeschoolers fed the growing idea that reform is possible and necessary.
- Snowflake, AZ was prayerfully selected as ‘home base’.
- Visits to the White Mountain area of Arizona revealed that inspiring efforts for restoration of good education are recently underway! Many wonderful people in this area want the best for their children and are no longer settling for a secular government program.
Fall 2014, A Time and A Season
“To every thing there a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven” Ecclesiastes 3:1
- The team for an American Family Education is growing and reviewing details, but we are still spread out over the state. This fall is a time of relocation and organizing so that when the right time to start comes, we will be prepared. The excitement is mounting and things are fall together, but there is still much history to create.
Winter 2014, Heart and A Willing Mind
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.” Isaiah 55:8
- Start up the schools down in the valley first was not our initial plan, but when heaven’s doors open and the way is set, it’s time to get on our walking shoes.
- On December 4th we held our first Education Restoration Workshop. This event was recorded in it’s entirety.. to the surprise of Kathryn who thought the Q & A was with the camera off.
Winter 2014, A Light
“For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth.” 3 John 1:3
- Friends from the past came back into our lives and shared a leadership education and personal development program with us. Words cannot express the feeling of finding an organization filled with light and truth that is successfully establishing a network of adults practicing the principles that we are instilling in our youth. We immediately knew these were people we needed to connect with. A study of the business model brought to light the needed direction for our program’s legal structure. This structure specifically matches with our desires to follow how scripture teaches us to organize and protects against the priority of our program turning to material needs.
Spring 2015, There’s No Place Like Home
“..we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him” Helaman 12:1
- In faith applications for scholarships, documents for organization, and training for parents and teachers are being created and implemented. All on faith that a location would be revealed. We found it 3/10/2015.
- 4/6/2015 Our offer is accepted and the contract is drafted. Closing date is set for May 29th, 2015.
May 2015, Our Home is Your Home
“Gather yourselves together, yea, gather together..” Zephaniah 2:1
- Our cup runneth over. The constant prayer is that this network of schools will honor Him and that those who are meant to be here will drawn to it. It is a truly humbling experience, having others who have been guided by His spirit, seek us out and connect with our efforts to restore and revolutionize education.
- The website is updated to reflect our program’s progress from the principle phase to application and replication.
August 2015, Our Own Little Red-brick School House
“..like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.” Matthew 13:31-32
- Our little school started it’s inaugural year with a perfect number of students and leaders. Where did they come from? Truthfully we attribute this gathering of families to earnest prayer. Each family had a unique yet familiar story of their own prayer and guidance leading them to us.
- This is a special group of families that are all helping to nourish this first little private school.
November 2015, Wall, Gate, or Door, We Will Get Through
“Go through, go through the gates; prepare ye the way of the people; cast up, cast up the highway; gather out the stones; lift up a standard for the people.” Isaiah 62:10
- Even more leaders and families in other areas are drawn to our program. Some have already set themselves on the path of forming a community school or promoting self-directed education.
- Opportunities to expand quickly in the very near future has lit a fire to produce content to support the growth.
- More than providing an example, we are driven to provide support and tools as purpose driven, leadership education is spread to more and more communities.
May 2016, An End is an Awesome Beginning
“Though thy beginning was small, yet thy latter end should greatly increase.” Job 8:7
- Closing out our first private school’s first school year feels so good!
- Like a graduation ceremony for our efforts children cheered and proclaimed love and gratitude for their little school. Parents and staff hugged and cheered the memories.
- We did it. We took back the education of our own children as purely community effort. We’ll never give them back to the state.
July 2016, Training, the Gathering
“The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.” Proverbs 16:21
- We knew this before, but it became more evidenced this weekend: the most amazing souls are joining forces to be a part of this Education Revolution.
- The experience could never be replaced by watching a video, but a summary video will have to do for the many who wanted to join us and couldn’t make the trek this year.
July 2017, Training, Master Your Influence